- This page refers to Selectors as they appear in selector infected WIXOSS and its related works.
- For Selectors as they appear in Lostorage incited WIXOSS, see Selector (Lostorage).
- For the card, see Selector (card).
A Selector (セレクター Serekutā) is a female WIXOSS player with a special card called a LRIG. Almost all Selectors have wishes in each of their hearts; these wishes cannot be arbitrarily changed. The goal of a Selector is to become an Eternal Girl, a person able to grant their own wish. Becoming an Eternal Girl entails fulfilling certain conditions, which often include winning a certain number of battles.
However, if a Selector loses three battles against other Selectors, they lose their Selector rights and "tainting" their wish, causing an effect that would either give them the opposite of that wish or make it so that that person cannot fulfill their wish normally in any way. For example, according to Hanayo's explanation in selector infected WIXOSS Episode 5, a girl who wished to become rich would lose all of her wealth and become destitute, while a girl who wished to become an excellent piano player would never be able to play the piano again. A Selector's wish cannot reverse the taint on another Selector's wish. However, it is possible in some circumstances for a Selector's wish to become untainted.
For example, Hitoe Uemura's wish was to make friends, but in Episode 5 she was defeated by Iona Urazoe, losing her memories of being a Selector (and having Rūko and Yuzuki as friends) and losing her ability to make friends ever again. However, as the series goes on, she slowly (and very painfully) regains her memories of Ruko and Yuzuki, finally remembering them in Episode 12.
It was initially believed that a Selector who lost their Selector rights would lose their memory of being a Selector, but later materials seem to contradict this claim, with Akira Aoi not losing her memory. It could be argued that wiping Hitoe's memory was necessary to reverse her wish, and as since Mayu wanted people to suffer, leaving their memory and thus their pain and humiliation would be more useful. Ultimately, whether a wish is reversed or not and whether one's memory of a Selector is wiped depends on Mayu's mood.
It is possible for a Selector who lost their Selector rights to become a Selector again. Their wish may be the same as before (even though it was tainted). It appears that LRIGs can still grant wishes even after the wish has been tainted.
It is also possible for a former LRIG who regained a human body to become a Selector again.
A Selector Battle is a game of WIXOSS between two Selectors. Winning these is necessary for a Selector to become an Eternal Girl.
To begin a Selector battle, it is necessary that one of the participants say "Open!" in the presence of another Selector. The other Selector's explicit consent is not required. At the beginning of a Selector battle, the two Selectors are transported to another world. Then, a giant wheel in the background, with the colors of the Selectors' respective LRIGs, spins and decides who goes first.
To non-Selectors outside of the battle, it appears that the participant Selectors are sleeping. Selectors can hear anything outside of the battle area, as shown in Episode 1 where Kazuki teaches Rūko the rules of WIXOSS; however, Selectors cannot communicate back.
Whenever a non-Selector walks into the the area where the battle is being held, the battle is instantly terminated without the outsider seeing anything. Selector battles will also end prematurely if one of the Selectors becomes unconscious, as with Hitoe's collapse in Episode 8. In these cases, there is no winner or loser, and the battle will not count towards the Selectors' wins or losses. Non-Selectors who know about the existence of Selectors, such as Kazuki, will not cause Selector battles to be interrupted.
Non-participant Selectors and LRIGs can spectate other Selectors battling.
A selector and LRIG pair may battle against another particular selector and LRIG pair only once. That same selector and LRIG pair may battle against the same selector or the same LRIG twice, as long as there is a different LRIG or selector. Interrupted battles do not count towards this rule.
Not all battles between Selectors have to be Selector battles. Selectors can play WIXOSS normally with other Selectors, without talking LRIGs.
In Lostorage incited WIXOSS, the structure of Selector Battles undergoes a change. While the basic structure is still the same as Mayu's system where there are rewards and punishments for the winners and losers, and how if a 3rd party interrupts - the match is considered to be a 'No Count,' there are several differences. These differences include:
- Participation in the battles is now mandatory.
- There are now male Selectors, however LRIGs are still female. The LRIGs themselves are also created from their Selector's memories by the LRIG of the Beginning who records a chosen Selector's memories.
- The overall objective for Selector Battles has also changed from winning 3 battles and gaining the resolve to win to winning 5 gold coins.
- The reward for winning the Selector Battles is that a Selector gets to create/alter/delete or restore their memories, whilst the punishment for losing is that the Selector loses their memories and personality. Addtionally, Selectors also have their bodies taken over by their LRIGs for losing. Unlike, in the first round of Selector battles, where the reward for winning is that Selectors became "Eternal Girls" by having their bodies snatched by their LRIG and the Selectors themselves were turned into cards. What happens to the Selector themselves after losing all of their coins is still unknown.
- Additionally, LRIGs are no longer obligated to fulfill their Selector's wish anymore.
- The System also now uses a Coin system as a score system and a betting system. The number of coins is predetermined by whichever card the Selector chooses during registration. The Selector can then use their coin to bet and use their Coin Bet Skills which are skills created from a Selector's predominant trait e.g. Suzuko's Honest personality created her Honest skill. However, there is a time limit on the coins and those coins will start disappearing if a Selector doesn't battle before the time-limit is over which also causes the Selector to start forgetting stuff.
- Selectors are also forced to compete for a period of 90 days, and if by the end of this period, they still haven't won all 5 gold coins or lost all of them, they can still keep their memories so long as they have coins left. However, it is later revealed that as a result of winning this way, the Selector will also lose all of their memories of their involvement in Selector Battles as well as all of the memories of the person/event that they want to change e.g. Chinatsu wanted to forget Suzuko and ends up completely forgetting about her. Additionally, any memories that they do forget will not return.
- Additionally if a Selector bets a coin, but loses the battle, then they will lose one coin along with the number of coins that they bet during the battle. However, if a Selector bets a coin and wins, they keep that coin and get another coin for winning. A Selector will only get one gold coin for winning per match.
- It is also now possible for a Selector to battle the same opponent more than once, meaning that they can multiple coins from the same Selector.